Re: LDUP Replication Work

At 10:12 AM 6/2/00 -0700, John E. Schimmel wrote:

>Alright, I got around to reading through the drafts for
>LDUP, and this is my first attempt to put a list of the
>work together.  The following is a quick list of what comes
>to mind.
>
>There is a new low-level command that needs to be supported.
>They have added the concept of bracketing a set of changes
>between a begin/end pair which needs to be recognized.

Yes, "framing" operations.  Hopefully this will be replaced
with a more general "grouping" of operations... (if I ever
find time to write the "grouping" I-D).

>A unique identifier is now specified on every entry (UUID).

Yes, the slapd frontend & slapadd should add an operational
attribute containing a UUID upon each add entry request.

>I did not see a definition of this identifier anywhere so
>if anyone else has let me know, else I'll send a message to
>the working group.

UUID per ISO/IEC 11578:1996.  And, no, I don't have a
copy.

>Of course LDUP has not been accepted as a standard yet, so
>many things are still in flux.

Yes... LDUP is a 'work in progress'.  However, experimenting
with I-D is a good thing and quite appropriate within
openldap-devel.

>I would like to start by changing some of the simple things
>such as attaching a uuid to each new entry, and updating a
>change identifier on each change.

That would be a good start.

Kurt