Re: slapd python backend

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 05:16:46PM -0500, Andy Dustman wrote:

> Since this doesn't seem to exist, I'm writing one. With the enthusiastic
> consent of my employer (comstar.net), it will be turned over to the
> OpenLDAP project. I'm presently modelling it off back-perl. I'm fairly new
> to LDAP (and the OpenLDAP lists), so let know what I should do with it
> when it looks fairly alpha.

I was wondering today if a 'coprocess' backend would be a good idea. This
means that all requests to the backend are sent of as lines of text to a
remote program, which would than take care of it. See Advanced Programming
in the Unix Environment (Stevens) for further examples.

There are lots of benefits to this approach. It encourages *very* modular
design, since nothing can be exchanged except prearange instructions. It's
also lots faster than the shell backend. It doesn't force you to use either
perl or python. It is also very easy.

Lots of other tricks are possible as well.

I have implemented a radius server using this concept and it works very
well, performance is great. Apache can also be configured to use coprocesses
when using mod_rewrite. They also support running multiple coprocesses when
apache spawns multiple processes.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,

bert hubert.

--
    +---------------+  |              http://www.rent-a-nerd.nl