Re: DIGEST-MD5 and {nonce,cnonce}

> At 12:32 PM 10/25/99 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> >Rand(3) provides a sequence of psuedo-random numbers.  The
> >amount of entropy in these numbers cannot be greater than
> >the seed used to determine the sequence.
>
> Poor wording:  The amount of entropy in the series of numbers
> cannot cannot be greater than the seed used to determine the
> sequence.  That is, the series numbers are not independent.

Even given different seeds?  If so, it's a piss-poor even "pseudo-" random
generator.  I can do better than that typing blind at the keyboard.

That would also throw out the idea of feeding the output of rand() to MD5.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@pobox.com		940/367-2744 cell phone

Visit http://www.linux-usa.net - Plug-n-Go Linux servers for small business
                                 "Plug it in - Turn it on - You're Done!"