performance & benchmarking

Developers,

We've been using the umich ldapserver and later openldap for a number
of small projects, and have never really had a lot of problems with
performance, but lately the requirements have gone up quite a bit, and we're
now looking at implementing solutions for upwards of 10,000,000 entries
in a directory, 10 - 20 read operations/sec and upto 10 write operations/sec.

We've looked at innosoft's idds and icl's i500 servers, which atleast claim
to be able to handle large amounts of entries, and promise fairly painless
scalling to distributed systems... but what I havent seen are actual
benchmarks with real-life applications. Can anyone help ?

Has anyone established the limits of the openLDAP server ? Or found
ways to make it perform better under high load ? How about
distributed setups with a caching proxy for example ?

Thanks for any input,
Case