ldap_result return value

The description of ldap_result says that it returns the msg type of the
first message in a chain, but in fact it returns the type of the *last*
message in the chain. This appears to be a longstanding bug since Feb 1
1997, according to the patch description on
http://www.critical-angle.com/ldapworld/patch/   (p16)

Does anyone know why things are still in their current state? I.e., why is
the patch that corrects this bug #if'd out? If this is going to be the
permanent situation, maybe we should change the description of ldap_result
so it won't mislead anyone else. (I just made a change to a client of mine
to take advantage of the documented behavior, and now I see that I need to
back it out....)