Re: 2.0-alpha and Solaris 7

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, David J N Begley wrote:

> Prima facie, this looks cool.  Environ is Sol7/SPARC and gcc 2.8.1.  I'd
> better wait for the release of "alpha2" before pushing this too much harder,
> to ensure that I'm chasing a genuine problem as opposed to one caused by
> mixing 'n' matching revs.

I managed to build CVS and pull down a copy of OpenLDAP-devel.  As before,
"configure" now works for POSIX threads.  The "inet_aton" issue hasn't gone
away, though.

- configure claims inet_aton is present, but it only appears to compile
  a test programme, it doesn't actually *link* anything (at which point
  it would fail)

- AC_LIBS needs "-lresolv" added for inet_aton to be included, as used by:

  libraries/libldap
  libraries/libldap_r

  which in turn then affects everything linked with these libraries:

  clients/tools
  clients/ud
  clients/finger
  clients/gopher
  clients/mail500
  clients/fax500
  clients/rcpt500
  servers/slapd
  servers/slapd/tools
  servers/slurpd
  tests/progs

- currently AC_LIBS on Sol7 contains "-lgen -lnsl -lsocket", so I was
  thinking of modifying the configure.in tests (circa line 625):

  AC_CHECK_LIB(socket, main)
  [...]
  AC_CHECK_LIB(nsl, main)
  [...]
  AC_CHECK_LIB(gen, main)
  AC_CHECK_LIB(resolv, inet_aton)

  the issue being, of course, that these tests are meant to find socket();
  given that socket() is in -lsocket and not -lgen or -lnsl (yet they're
  included anyway), it may not be such a bad thing after all...

  The "main" check in -lsocket, -lgen and -lnsl appear to match the symbol
  "_thr_main" in each library - there's no equiv in -lresolv so a "main"
  check there wouldn't work

  Alternatively, could the current check for inet_aton actually do a link
  in addition to compile operation (which would fail), followed by a check
  for inet_aton in -lresolv (compile/link would pass, add -lresolv to
  AC_LIBS)?

- "make distclean" doesn't remove these files:

  contrib/Makefile
  contrib/saucer/Makefile
  contrib/web_ldap/Makefile
  include/lber_types.h

After all this, "make test" still results in a core dump anyway so now I need
to dig a little further...

dave