Re: OpenLDAP enhancements

Earlier today, Julio Sánchez Fernández wrote:

> A client that expects them to be returned is broken.

Granted - I was just getting the impression from Kurt's reply that a server
which *did* return the attributes was also broken (but I didn't see that in
the RFCs).

> On the other hand, not returning them simplifies the processing, since
> now attribute handling is uniformly done according to the schema, while
> formerly a few attribute types were special-cased.  Putting back the
> operational attribute types in the root DSE would need special casing
> again and a strong case should be made for it.

Ahh, fair enough - that answers the original question (Why not return the
attributes - simpler/more consistent attribute processing);  thanks.

Thanks again..

dave