RE: backend modules

> From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org]

> Please submit changes to libtool to the libtool folks.  We
> should not maintain OpenLDAP-specific versions of this tool.

OK, I have submitted the libtool changes. I've gotten some response, but
nothing definitive yet.

> At 07:31 AM 8/6/99 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> >The Makefile.in is still missing one piece: there is no install rule. I
> >don't believe slapd modules should be named like regular libraries, nor
> >should they go into regular library directories. Thus, I chose names like
> >"back-ldap.so" instead of "libback-ldap.so". I think these
> things should be
> >installed in the same directory as the config files, i.e.
> >/usr/local/etc/openldap
>
> The etc directory is not appropriate place for such.
>
> >as opposed to some place like /usr/local/lib or
> >/usr/local/libexec.
>
> They should be placed in $libexecdir/openldap.
>
> 	Kurt

OK. I've tested out static and dynamic builds for all of the backends except
bdb2. The install rules now use $libexecdir/$ldap_subdir for installing the
dynamic backends. I originally set up the build with libltdl copied into the
OpenLDAP source tree, but that was a real pain to get configured properly.
Now I just rely on libltdl already being installed on default search paths.
It seems this is OK since we already require libtool 1.3.3 to be installed
on the build system.