Proxy/caching forwarder for LDAP?

I've been considering writing a quick, throwable caching forwarder
for openldap (protocol v2, obviously).

I've been wondering what would be involved, and if anyone has a
description or roadmap to what a minimal implementation would be.
I haven't decided whether it would use stable (persistent) storage
or just a memory based cache.

My thoughts are that it would be useful for small, modular, short-lived
processes than tend to get the same data over and over again in a
short amount of time (such as a user profile, for example) but don't
necessarily modify that info.

-Philip