RE: SSL/GSSAPI for OpenLDAP

GSS-API is merely a SASL mechanism, so if the plugin API is well desgined,
then it should be a no-brainer.

Client-side plugins are an interesting issue. We've implemented a GSS-API
client-side plugin for Netscape's client library and have run into a few
problems. First, as far as I can tell, there's no way to pass some
per-session context to the ber_write()/ber_read() hooks, so implementing
privacy protection with multiple GSS-API contexts is harder than it needs to
be. Also, because there doesn't appear to be a way to register a bind
function for a particular SASL mechanism, the client library can't do a SASL
rebind after chasing a referral.

You can look at the code at ftp.padl.com/pub/gsssasl.tar.gz to see how we
have/haven't resolved some of these issues. Please note that this software
is not open source.

-- Luke