Search size limits

I've noticed that when a size limit for a search is set the
OpenLDAP server actually searches for one plus the size
limit then returns LDAP_SIZELIMIT_EXCEEDED or
LDAP_SUCCESS as appropriate.

This is a problem when an attribute in the search filter is
not indexed. I have a situation where I one want one result
entry because I know that I will only ever have one entry to

match my search filter. However due to the interpretation
of LDAP_SIZELIMIT_EXCEEDED the server continues it's
search until it determines that no more extries exist.

Wouldn't a more appropriate server behavior be to return as
soon as the size limit is met with a return code of
LDAP_SIZELIMIT_MET. It may be appropriate to retire
LDAP_SIZELIMIT_EXCEEDED error code and behavior in
favor of a LDAP_SIZELIMIT_MET behavior. I see no reason
for a server to continue a search once the size limit has
been met.

Any comments?
--
-