ldbm database usage

A question for those out there using 'ldbm' as the backend for your LDAP
directory:

Though our use of OpenLDAP might be atypical, our LDAP server might be hit
with something on the order of 6000 database additions and deletions (~3000
each) per day. It appears that the resultant id2entry.?dbm file might be
growing in size over time, even if the total number of entries served by the
database is fairly constant (currently at 5000 entries).

It is unclear to me whether an ldbm back-end should/must be rebuilt
periodically to reclaim index and/or data space.  Anyone with first hand
experience? Care to share your knowledge?

Ken McGarrahan
Southwestern Bell Telephone
*	Phone: (314) 235-3160
*	E-Mail: km4155@sbc.com