RE: subtree referrals in OpenLDAP development code

> I am experimenting with the development version of the OpenLDAP
> server.  I am evaluating the OpenLDAP server to see if we could make
> it the reocmmended LDAP server for the Globus project's Metacomputing
> Directory Service.
>
> I have been having trouble making subordinate referrals work.  (Referrals
> to the superior of the server's subtree work just fine.)   I have
> tried two methods (one from the UMICH "SLAPD and SLURPD
> Administrator's Guide", the other from Tim Howes's book,
> "Understanding and Deploying LDAP directory services."
>
> Here's the LDIF I'm using for these two methods:
>
>   dn:  hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute,
> o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US
>   objectclass: referral
>   ref: ldap://mds.globus.org:389/hn=jupiter.isi.edu,
> ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern
> California, o=Globus, c=US

This doesn't work. The LDBM backend only recognizes referrals if the RDN is
ref=xxx.

>   dn:  ref="ldap://mds.globus.org:389/hn=jupiter.isi.edu,
> ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern
> California, o=Globus, c=US", hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information
> Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US
>   objectclass: referral

This is an incomplete entry, you need a ref attribute in the entry as well,
matching your RDN. Once you add that, this will work. i.e.
dn: ref="ldap://mds.globus.org:389/hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information
Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US",
hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of
Southern California, o=Globus, c=US
objectclass: referral
ref: "ldap://mds.globus.org:389/hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences
Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US"
  -- Howard