Re: searching multiple backends

"Howard Chu" <hyc@highlandsun.com> writes:

> I've encountered a problem which I was all set to tackle, until I realized
> there was a more general problem. I have two DSAs, one X.500 and one slapd.
> The X.500 server operates over o=bar and the slapd is responsible for
> ou=foo,o=bar. I.e., the slapd is subordinate to the X.500 dsa. When the
> X.500 dsa receives a DAP request to LIST the entries under o=bar there is no
> problem, and the names of everything one level below o=bar is returned. This
> request is handled entirely within the X.500 dsa. When it receives an
> equivalent LDAP request to SEARCH, scope=ONELEVEL, it enumerates everything
> it knows about within its own database, and then chains the request on to
> the slapd, with search base o=bar, scope=ONELEVEL.

Huh?  I don't think this is correct.  Either the X.500 DSA masters
o=bar or it doesn't.  It is bogus for it to go somewhere else
asking for info on o=bar.  Someone more experienced would care
to comment?

> 	#1 ou=foo,o=bar
> 	#2 ou=baz,o=bar
> 	#3 ou=fiz,o=bar
>
> Again, if this slapd receives a SEARCH request based at o=bar, the request
> will fail, even though it could/should validly return information for
> ONELEVEL or SUBTREE searches from this base.

Not in this particular case, if I have understood your problem.
It cannot know if there are other things below o=bar.

But I get your point.  I don't know the answer.  I don't even know
what it does when a naming context expands several backends.  I
think it should traverse backends transparently.

Julio

--
Julio Sanchez
 PGP Key fingerprint =  E5 29 93 6F 41 4E 00 E2  90 11 A1 8C 72 D0 DE 71