ldap_search results

In the event that ldap_search returns a -1, how do you get the error code?
With Netscape SDK, I used the function ldap_get_lderrno(), then translate it
to a string via ldap_err2string().  In the old Umich code, I just went
directly into the ldap structure to ld->ld_errno.

OpenLDAP hides this and provides no interface that I can see in the
documentation.  Ldap_perror will get at what I want, but
prints the string on the terminal.  I need to return it from a function.
Is there something I'm missing here?  Seems like it can't be done.  Looks
like there needs to be an interface added for this.

Randy