[Date Prev][Date Next]
Re: (ITS#8046) query caused slapd to stop
--On Tuesday, February 03, 2015 12:08:36 AM +0000 Howard Chu <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> email@example.com wrote:
>> Full_Name: Bill MacAllister
>> Version: 2.4.40
>> OS: Debian Wheezy
>> URL: ftp://ftp.openldap.org/incoming/
>> Submission from: (NULL) (22.214.171.124)
>> I have a perl script that uses Net::LDAPapi to report data from our
>> OpenLDAP servers. I have used the script on an off for years.
>> This morning I created a new report this morning that is causing
>> slapd on the servers to core dump. When I do the same query using
>> ldapsearch the query returns normally.
> What is the query? The filter code where this occurs hasn't changed
> in 4 years.
> Provide the slapd -d7 output for the query via your script, as well
> as via ldapsearch.
The system exhibiting this problem was running a beta release of
2.4.40. When I installed from a build of the current stable the
problem disappeared. Apologies for the bother, I didn't realize
the system had not been updated.
I think that documenting the query would be useful anyway, but I
want to hold off on that because I know the problem exists in the
build that is in debian backports. I would like to give Ryan a
chance to fix it before I publish it. I was able to reproduce the
problem with ldapsearch and it is a trival and very effective
denial of service attack.
Systems Programmer, Stanford University