[Date Prev][Date Next]
(ITS#6322) slapd suddenly stops working, and starts using 100% CPU
Full_Name: Helge Milde
Version: slapd 2.4.11
OS: Debian 5
Submission from: (NULL) (220.127.116.11)
In the last two days, slapd has randomly stopped working on our server, about
one time every two or three hours. Before this, slapd had been running without
any problems for about two months. slapd.conf has not been touched since then.
What happens is that slapd stops taking queries (postfix, dovecot, NSS etc.
starts getting timeouts), and it starts using exactly 100% of one core until we
After restart, everything works again (until this happens again).
It seems to only happen when slapd is under "stress" (we have an 8-core system
with 8G RAM, and so slapd is really never under much "stress"; the biggest CPU
load I've seen is about 40% on one core). The last ldap search before slapd
stops working is always the same:
Oct 2 10:57:38 oi-mail slapd: conn=1543 op=1 SRCH
base="ou=groups,dc=web,dc=xxxx,dc=net" scope=1 deref=0
.. which should return about 1800 entries. Different connections might query
this simultaneously, and it's a query that happens every ~10 seconds on
I've tried to reproduce this by doing ..
# while [ 1 ]; do ldapsearch -x -H ldaps://.. -b
'ou=groups,dc=web,dc=xxxx,dc=net' '(&(objectClass=posixAccount))'; done
.. for two minutes without any "luck" :). slapd just uses a bit more CPU, but
never stops working.
With "loglevel stats stats2", I get nothing out of the logs:
Oct 2 08:42:15 oi-mail slapd: conn=34798 op=1 ENTRY
... time of "crash" (we're mid-search at this point); nothing gets logged until
we do a restart: ...
Oct 2 08:42:30 oi-mail slapd: daemon: shutdown requested and initiated.
Oct 2 08:42:30 oi-mail slapd: conn=34391 fd=31 closed (slapd shutdown)
... many entires like the one above, and then I seem to be getting the next
entry from the same connection, right before it closes: ...
Oct 2 08:42:30 oi-mail slapd: conn=34798 op=1 ENTRY
Oct 2 08:42:30 oi-mail slapd: conn=34798 fd=81 closed (slapd shutdown)
I've tried logging more than just stats, but the interesting loglevels also
causes a big performance hit (trace and args), and I'm not really sure which of
the other loglevels could be helpful.
This is a live ldap server, on a server that also hosts other services, so I
simply can't take the performance hit.
I also did a strace -p <slapd pid>, which only gives "futex(0x41c499e0,
FUTEX_WAIT," until I restart slapd, but the "restarting routine" could be
useful, so here it is: http://www.pastie.org/639170
I understand that this probably isn't enough data to see what the problem is,
and so I'm hoping to get some help in debugging this properly. As I've said,
args/trace loglevel takes too much of a performance hit, but if this is the only
way, we might reconcider.
Interesting parts of slapd.conf below.
We use slapd.conf instead of cn=config, everything goes over TLS, we're AFAIK
only using LDAPv3 binding, and we only have one database entry in slapd.conf.
dbconfig set_cachesize 0 52428800 0
dbconfig set_lk_max_objects 1500
dbconfig set_lk_max_locks 1500
dbconfig set_lk_max_lockers 1500
checkpoint 512 30