I am running OpenLDAP 2.3.42 on Windows as a service and am experiencing very frequent cases where the slapd service terminates unexpectedly. I run the same OpenLDAP load on Redhat Linux where I have had only a single (unconfirmed) report of slapd stopping on its own. I suspected that the problem may be related to the Windows Service Manager, so I ran a slapd instance from the command line to remove WSM from the equation. I was able to reproduce the problem twice, each time the console printed the following message:
Assertion failed: sd == AC_SOCKET_INVALID, file connection.c, line 288
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
I am currently running slapd in the console with full debugging turned on, but as of yet haven't seen the problem. I will forward a more complete trace if I can capture one.
I have been running various version of OpenLDAP on Windows in this manner for the past 4 years without problems. Recently, I started using syncrepl and PPOLICY. I don't think this is related to my problem, but thought it worth noting.