[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

(ITS#5249) OpenLDAP memory leak

Full_Name: Sumith Narayanan
Version: 2.3.27 
OS: MacOSX 10.4
URL: ftp://ftp.openldap.org/incoming/
Submission from: (NULL) (

My openLDAP DB is divided into 3 physical DBs, each of 4 GB , 12 GB and 26 GB
sizes , 42 GB total. 

We were running with ldbm backend till 6-7 months back when the total size of
the DB was below 30 GB. It started crashing once in a while as the size started

We then changed the backend to  Berkeley DB (Version:4.4.20) and the openLDAP
version 2.3.27. It is running in a 8 GB memory machine with 32 bit processing
and receives updates through an custom interface which binds to ldap and do the
update / inserts and deletes. 

The rate at which the updates/inserts/deletes come is around 1-2 K / hr. 

Now when I start the slapd process in loglevel 256 or 512 , it starts crashing
with in a few hours running out of memory. The maximum memory that 32 bit
processor can use is around 2 GB. It crashes after that. I was trying to tune
the DB_CONFIG  :

DB_CONFIG settings for each DB :

For 26 GB DB.
set_cachesize   0       42428800        0
# Transaction Log settings
set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              20485760
set_lg_bsize            2097152

For 12GB DB
set_cachesize   0       15485760        0
set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              20485760
set_lg_bsize            2097152

for 4 GB DB
set_cachesize   0       10485760        0
set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              10485760
set_lg_bsize            2097152

Slapd.conf settings :

loglevel     16 
gentlehup          on
idletimeout        300
sizelimit          1000
timelimit          300
password-hash     {SSHA}
allow bind_v2
threads           32

These parameters are set same for all the three DBs :

dbcachesize     100000
cachesize        100000

There is a replica also which gets updates from the master.

Now when I change the loglevel to 32 or 16 , the process lives longer ,
sometimes for a week or for more than a month.... However , as soon as I switch
back to old loglevel , it starts crashing. This is happening in both master and

Could you please advice whether there is a fix for this in the current version
or is it getting fixed in the coming version OR is it something that I can fix
by configuring. Logs are important for us as we need to know where the requests
are coming from. Also , the DB is accessed 250 K times in a day approximately.

Please let me know if I need to furnish any more details.

Thanks, Sumith.