[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

OpenLDAP Installation (ITS#2647)

Full_Name: Colin Bruce
Version: 2.1.12 and all others
OS: Linux (Slackware 8.1)
URL: ftp://ftp.openldap.org/incoming/
Submission from: (NULL) (

Installation of OpenLDAP (all versions) fails in some situations.

We have a system that we build and test all software on. Once software has been
tested we then install it on live servers. The live servers do not have
installed. The source directory is NFS mounted. We have found several problems
this approach and OpenLDAP but with no other software. It seems that you guys
modified the autoconf, automake stuff in a way that breaks it. There are two
problems. The first is as follows:

We have a disk which is mounted as /mnt/disk2. There is a symobolic link to it
is /usr/local/src. The openldap software sourcse are installed in
/usr/local/src/LDAP/openldap-2.1.12. We follow the standard procedures and do
./configure --disable-slapd --disable-slurpd; make depend;make ; make install
and it works fine. We then go to a machine that has /usr/local/src mounted and
make install and it doesn't work. The reason is the line in
which reads:

relink_command="(cd /mnt/disk2/LDAP/openldap-2.1.12/libraries/libldap;
/bin/sh /usr/local/src/LDAP/openldap-2.1.12/libtool --mode=relink cc -g
-O2 -version-info 2:111:0 -rpath /usr/local/lib -o libldap.la bind.lo
open.lo result.lo error.lo compare.lo search.lo controls.lo messages.lo
references.lo extended.lo cyrus.lo modify.lo add.lo modrdn.lo delete.lo
abandon.lo cache.lo sasl.lo sbind.lo kbind.lo unbind.lo filter.lo free.lo
sort.lo getdn.lo getentry.lo getattr.lo getvalues.lo addentry.lo request.lo
os-ip.lo url.lo sortctrl.lo vlvctrl.lo init.lo options.lo print.lo string.lo
util-int.lo schema.lo charray.lo tls.lo os-local.lo dnssrv.lo utf-8.lo
utf-8-conv.lo version.lo ../../libraries/liblber/liblber.la -lresolv
-ldl -lssl -lcrypto)"

I have split it for convenience. As you can see it uses two different names for
directory. One is correct and the other is wrong. What seems to have happened is
someone has decided it would be a really good idea to work out the real
name and use that in some places. This does not happen for any other software I
most of which uses autoconf, automake etc or for your own liblber.

I can get round this by doing a botch and making a link. However, it still does
work because even though the libraries are built, it tries to relink them again
there are no facilities for doing that on the live machines.

Best wishes....