[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

ITS 1412 and ITS 796 (ITS#1462)

Full_Name: Ryan Hass
Version: 2.0.18
OS: Darwin 5.1 (MacOS X Server 10.1)
URL: ftp://ftp.openldap.org/incoming/
Submission from: (NULL) (

My original problem was exactly the same as described in ITS#1412, a few months

In a nutshell - I was having linking problems with libldap_r

Here is a snippet of the error:


cc -dynamiclib -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -o .libs/libldap_r.dylib 
threads.lo rdwr.lo tpool.lo thr_posix.lo thr_cthreads.lo thr_thr.lo thr_lwp.lo
thr_nt.lo thr_pth.lo thr_stub.lo extended.lo bind.lo controls.lo open.lo
result.lo error.lo compare.lo search.lo modify.lo add.lo modrdn.lo delete.lo
abandon.lo cache.lo cyrus.lo getfilter.lo sasl.lo sbind.lo kbind.lo unbind.lo
friendly.lo free.lo disptmpl.lo srchpref.lo dsparse.lo tmplout.lo sort.lo
getdn.lo getentry.lo getattr.lo getvalues.lo addentry.lo request.lo os-ip.lo
url.lo sortctrl.lo vlvctrl.lo init.lo options.lo print.lo string.lo util-int.lo
schema.lo charray.lo tls.lo dn.lo os-local.lo dnssrv.lo utf-8.lo version.lo 
-L/Users/admin/ldap/openldap-2.0.17/libraries -lssl -lcrypto -lc
ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format
util-int.lo definition of common _ldap_int_resolv_mutex (size 44)
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [libldap_r.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-common] Error 1
make: *** [all-common] Error 1


After extensively - and throughly, beating my head against the wall, I decided
to search through the mailing list archives. What I discovered, seemed to be a
'workaround.' ITS#796 stated that if I were to add '-fno-common' to CFLAGS, it
would compile. 

Well - it compiled - however, after running 'make test' I discovered that the
workaround seemed to have broken replication. (I assume thats why it's called
libldap_r... r being replication?) 

I personally, may be able to get by, without for a short time - but here is a
snippet of make test:


>>>>> Starting test007-replication ...
running defines.sh . ldbm
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Cleaning up in ./test-repl...
rm: ./test-repl/replica: is a directory
Starting master slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Starting slave slapd on TCP/IP port 9010...
Using ldapsearch to check that master slapd is running...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Using ldapsearch to check that slave slapd is running...
Starting slurpd...
Using ldapadd to populate the master directory...
Waiting 15 seconds for slurpd to send changes...
Using ldapmodify to modify master directory...
Waiting 15 seconds for slurpd to send changes...
Using ldapsearch to read all the entries from the master...
Using ldapsearch to read all the entries from the slave...
./scripts/test007-replication: kill: kill 11559 failed: no such process [185]
Filtering ldapsearch results...
Filtering original ldif used to create database...
Comparing retrieved entries from master and slave...
test failed - master and slave databases differ
>>>>> ./scripts/test007-replication failed (exit 1)
make[1]: *** [test-ldbm] Error 1
make: *** [test] Error 2
[whitserv:~/ldap/openldap-2.0.18] admin% uname -a
Darwin WhitServ 5.1 Darwin Kernel Version 5.1: Tue Oct 30 00:06:34 PST 2001;
root:xnu/xnu-201.5.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc


All the previous tests completed successfully - however it seems that the old
bug from over a year ago (ITS#796) was never properly addressed. I saw the note
for ITS#1412, submitted by Kyle Johnson - and while I'm not sure exactly what it
meant, I thought I would just toss this your way in hopes that it might be give
you guys a little helping hand. =)

If there is anything else I can do to assist in the resolution of this problem,
please let me know.


Ryan Hass | Systems Support Specialist
San Diego City Schools | Special Education - Whittier Center