[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Memory Leak (cont.) (ITS#270)

Full_Name: Aaron C. Du Mar
Version: 1.2.6 (cvs ENG_1.2 etc)
OS: trying OpenBSD (was Linux earlier)
URL: ftp://ftp.openldap.org/incoming/
Submission from: (NULL) (

I got the reply from Kurt (thank you) about trying the cvs stuff.  I dl'd it
to one of my home machines running OpenBSD, configured and installed it.  I
copied the db from my department and tried using ldapsearch.  Now, the
did not use threads (of course with my OpenBSD),  but everything else went ok.
The tests passed (good), and installed ok.  

Then I set up the db here at home.  We only have about 300 users, so it's pretty

small.  My slapd.conf still has cachesize and dbcachesize set to 0.  Anyway, I 
made a simple perl script to query the db and show the %mem (using ps):

undef @data;
for ($i=1; $i < 1000; $i++) {
        @data = `/usr/local/bin/ldapsearch -h\"localhost\" -b\"ou=Department of
Physics, o=Texas A&M University, st=TX, c=US\" \"cn=*\" uid mail`;
        @pscrap = `ps -auwx | grep slapd`;
        print "@pscrap\n";

The mem usage printed out by @pscrap increases by 1.4% each time it is run (96
memory) by slapd.

I'm surprised that this is not mentioned more.  I set up an older version of
(about a year ago) that I have had no problem with, and have never had a need to

upgrade.  If there is a way for me to give more info, let me know (of course no
dumps, it just stops working).  Since I see similar behaviour on Linux and BSD,
either I'm incredibly stupid (highly unlikely ;) or there is a problem.

Thank you for your help.