2) LDAP update control for password policy
3) LDAP password-based authentication policy
4) LDAP password update policy
#1 and #2 will essentially define the protocol elements and the
various policy decisions to be made.
#3 and #4 will define the schema elements and how to use them to
implement the policy decisions defined in #1 and #2.
We can probably find better names than the ones I've jotted down here.

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> 10/26/04 6:21:25 PM >>>
Just a thought, but it might also be useful to split the
protocol elements from the schema elements. The protocol
controls could be genericized to support expiration of
other kinds of credentials.

At 09:00 AM 10/26/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>All,
>
>Speaking on behalf of some people on the CC list, it is seen as
desirable to place password update policy in one specification, and
place password use policy in another specification.

>This started as an act of associating password use policy (such as
intruder detection policy) with login policy (such as allowable login
times, addresses, etc).

>It then diverged from that and ended up being described as: Password
policy is policy that applies only to simple bind passwords. Login
policy involves policy that can be applied to *any* kind of credentials.

>My argument was that policy like password expiration (while enforced
at authN time) is intimately tied to password updates. Thus, if we
were to split this into two I-Ds, there would be some amount of cross
referencing, and cross requirements (password expiration would require
actions during password update).

>I know some people in the community have asked for more "login
policy" type things to be added to the I-D, and we've pushed against
adding those.

>What are other's feelings in this area? (Tammy, Duane, Hal, feel free
to clarify these positions).

>Jim

  -- Howard Chu