Re: [ldapext] Unfinished business: password policy and VLV

On Aug 5, 2009, at 4:15 AM, Howard Chu wrote:

Howard Chu wrote:
And also an extended op "ExternalBind" for allowing external authentication providers to interact with the existing policy. I.e., this op will supply an LDAP username and a success/fail code to the directory server, and the server will execute the policy mechanisms accordingly. (E.g., if a Fail code is supplied then the failure time and any relevant lockouts are recorded.)

Thinking about this some more, I don't think a new exop is the right approach. Instead, I would use a new ppolicy control which can be attached to a Search request.

I suggest that such new protocol mechanisms, whether they be exop based or control based, be specified separately from the Password Policy document. While they may be related, it would seem reasonable that an implementation might one to implement one but not the other. Modularization is a good thing. Here I think it will aide in getting security right.

Looking forward to discussing the devils in your details (I-Ds)...

-- Kurt