Re: [ldapext] UTF-8 full support in LDIF / LDIF v2

Kurt Zeilenga wrote:

> IDNA when through all of this.  They found that they had to place
> significant restrictions on Unicode domain components to ensure that a
> domain name was well-formed Unicode text.

I'd like to learn more about the term "well-formed Unicode text". Do you
have a reference at hand? [NAMEPREP] and/or [STRINGPREP]?

I found

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0/#Conformance_Changes

which contains a replacement for the text in Unicode5.0 standard.
(Strange that one cannot simply download the recent version.)

> You have not suggested placing similar restrictions on LDIF but simply
> removing the ASCII restriction.

Would it help to define similar restrictions?

Stepping back a bit from the details of the interesting Unicode issues
posted here I wonder what the general strategy of the IETF regarding
these issues is? I remember discussions on the ietf-pkix mailing list
mentioning problems like these (e.g. when displaying subject names of
X.509 certs) without any real solution.

I think any system which takes (user) input, decodes it to a Unicode
code point sequence and display it to the user is affected by issues
with BIDI, combining characters and duplicate Unicode points.

Ciao, Michael.