Re: [ldapext] UTF-8 full support in LDIF / LDIF v2

On Jun 11, 2009, at 8:12 AM, Michael Ströder wrote:

If you are right, that LDIF is purely for exchanging information
between applications, never to be looked at by humans, then why is
the current version so human friendly ?

Most parts of LDIF data is human-readable because most data is ASCII and
most consoles or other apps do not have problems displaying ASCII.

I do not concur with this statement. I find that most applications can generally deal with one line separator convention in US-ASCII files and there are multiple line separator conventions.

This does not say anything about whether to lift the ASCII restriction or not.

The US-ASCII problems might suggest that use of Net-ASCII might have been more appropriate than US-ASCII.

-- Kurt