Re: [ldapext] UTF-8 full support in LDIF / LDIF v2

Yves Dorfsman wrote:
> When you deal with multi-line entries,

Let us be more precise here: I guess you meant multi-line attribute values.

> isn't the LDAP client at the end
> of the chain modifying your line separator into a different one, one
> appropriate for its platform ?

The LDAP client is supposed to send on the wire the correct LDAP string
encoding of the attribute value. Local display methods and handling of
user input data within the UI of the client is out-of-scope here.

> If so, how much more difficult would it be to let every element in the
> chain use whichever line separator they want, and translate as needed ?

???

>> The downside of a here-document scheme is the need to scan the value
>> before hand to make sure it doesn't contain the terminator sequence,
>> which becomes awkward for streaming applications, so I'd be inclined to
>> keep the current scheme as an alternative.
>
> It should be easy to pick a sufficiently complicated word that you know
> will never appear in any of your entries (e.g.:
> X**ENDOFTEXTDONOTUSE**X),

I'm against the here-document scheme. Use decent LDIF module for your
favourite scripting language.

Ciao, Michael.