Re: [ldapext] UTF-8 full support in LDIF / LDIF v2

Jim Willeke wrote:
> Perhaps what is really required is a good tool to display and edit the
> existing LDIF formatted files that in a view that is deemed acceptable.

Whatever "good tool" means to you. People tend to strongly disagree on
user interfaces. ;-)

It would boil down to the same problems you have when displaying
atribute values of an entry or presenting an input form for editing an
entry received via LDAP. This is not feasible without making assumptions
about data and/or looking closely at the subschema. But when solely
looking at a LDIF file you usually don't have the accompanying subschema
subentry available.

In my web2ldap you can switch the input form to LDIF (and back to
template/table form) when editing an entry. It accepts LDIF with UTF-8
values (converted from what the browser sent as charset) as input
unfolding multiple lines according to LDIF rules. Attribute values of
syntax DirectoryString containing non-ASCII chars are displayed
base64-encoded. This all is very simple and I'd not consider it to be
completely what's discussed here but at least it helps copying&pasting
(parts of) an LDIF export.

Ciao, Michael.