Re: [ldapext] updating LDIF [RFC2849] (was: IETF#73 LDAP BOF Proposal)

On Sep 4, 2008, at 5:38 AM, Michael Ströder wrote:

> (Follow-up only on ldapext.)
>
> Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
>> (My own top-few list
>> would likely include updating LDIF [RFC2849].)
>
> Somewhat I'm curious what you have in mind.
> Only updating or extending?

I was thinking it would be good to, at a minimum, to revise RFC 2849
for clarity (no version bump).

It may be appropriate to consider updating it to support extensions.
That is, in addition to a version indicator, add a required-extension
indicator.  That way readers can determine whether they'll be able to
read the file without having to read the whole file.  Just the
addition of this would lead to the version number having to be bumped.

If we do bump the version, then it seems reasonable to consider
whether there are desired features which are so useful that they
should be integrated into core format instead of handled as
extensions.  One that comes to mind here is Steven Legg's XML value
feature.

-- Kurt