Re: [ldapext] draft-zeilenga-ldap-dontusecopy: criticality

Kurt Zeilenga wrote:

On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:

draft-zeilenga-ldap-dontusecopy-06.txt says:
"The criticality MUST be TRUE."

What's the rationale for being so strict?

Primarily so that the semantic is a boolean, and hence can be mapped directly to the X.511 dontUseCopy option. Also, I don't see much of a difference in no control versus a non-critical control in this case, as both would allow the server to use copies.

Well, I'd like to use it in a case where my client would accept "best effort" of the server not to use a copy. Otherwise I would have to send the control with criticality TRUE and re-send the same request without the control in case of unavailableCriticalExtension returned by the server.

The main problem is that it's impossible to find out whether a server supports a certain control (within a particular naming context) without sending it. (And even if you send it and unavailableCriticalExtension you cannot really tell if the client sent several critical controls.)

Ciao, Michael.