Re: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-zeilenga-ldap-passwords-00.txt

simo wrote:
>>> 4)
>>>
>>> The number of constraints seem quite limited, are you open to
>>> suggestion
>>> for more constraint types that are currently commonly used in various
>>> server implementations ?
>> Yes.
>
> Thanks,
> there are some encoding (utf-8) dependent constraints that are widely
> used like:
>
> - minimum length in characters
> - maximum number of repetitions of the same character in a password
> - minimum number of alphabetic characters
> - minimum number of lower case characters
> - minimum number of upper case characters
> - minimum number of digits
> - minimum number of special characters (usually ASCII characters that
> represent symbols, but may be extended to other symbols in the UTF-8
> space)
> - minimum number of ASCII characters (as opposed to other utf-8
> characters)
> - complexity checks, like the checks performed by the cracklib library
> to make sure the user name (or other user data) is not used as part of
> the password itself, or the password is not too similar to a dictionary
> word (locale dependent sometimes).

I recall when draft-behera was being discussed that folks wanted more
constraints, but nobody suggested what those might be. This is a pretty good
list. As for complexity checks, that may still be more difficult to
standardize. In OpenLDAP we punt that to a user-written checking module.

I don't really see a good way to fully spec this here, unless you want to
define an attribute to carry ABNF rules that a password must conform to. Or,
we could define a list of "dictionaries" that must be checked, where a
"dictionary" is a specified version number of a well-known word list, library
(like cracklib) or other external mechanism.

--
   -- Howard Chu