Re: [ldapext] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-furuseth-ldap-untypedobject-01.txt

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:

I don't see way this class would have any MUST/MAY attributes
(other than 'objectClass' as required by the SUP top).

Well, the rationale is in Appendix A, except:

It seems that it would be more appropriate to use DIT content
rules/auxiliary object classes (including possibly extensibleObject)
to require/allow any desired attributes, including those used for
naming.

I don't get this. Plenty of other object classes can be used for a number of different scenarios and provide a bunch of attributes that just might be useful, e.g. the MAY attributes to 'person'. That's partly what MAY is for in the first place. How is this different? The major thing wrong I can see with this class is that it must be structural but doesn't really deserve to be, not which attributes it has.

And quite possibly it has too many naming attributes. I can see
moving the other naming attrs than CN to an aux class which would
also be defined in the draft.

For the purposes I use this Object Class in Isode software I need cn, uid and dc.
The description attribute seems to be a good idea for describing why an entry of this class is present in DIT.
I don't have strong opinion about other attributes.

extensibleObject and DIT content rules may both be unsupported.

Right.

But it might be an idea to suggest them in the draft, in particular
if most/all attributes are deleted.

I don't like the name of this class, but the alternatives don't seem
much better (if better at all), 'unclassifiedObject',
'structurallessObject', 'unstructuredObject' (at present, I prefer the
latter).

Yeah, they are all equally bad:-( I could go for either.

structurallessObject... hmm, it sounded absolutely wrong at first
glance, but maybe not...

I like the name Container, which is used by Microsoft AD for similar purposes.

Or namedObject, which this version of the draft steals some text from.
Don't know where the namedObject draft is going or if this would be OK
with the author of that one.

I think Luke Howard has agreed to my idea of having a single merged draft.

A few misc. comments (mostly editorial, but some of
substance).

Leaving most for Alexey.

Yes, comments look straightforward.

"This document raises no known security issues."
Well, given RFC 2256 discussions security considerations
for attributes such as CN, I would think there are
known security issues impacting this specification.
(...) I suggest
the authors read Section 7 of draft-zeilenga-ldap-ext
and attempt to satisfy its requirements/recommendations
here.

Good tip.

Ok, I will think about Security Considerations for the next revision.

Alexey