Re: [ldapext] Sorted attribute values

Howard Chu writes:
>Richard Megginson wrote:
>> Would it be possible to use attribute subtypes for the weights?

Note that this has different semantics in the protocol: It will return
several attributes with one value each instead of one attribute with
several values.

> Hm, did you mean actual subtypes, or just attribute options? Something
> like
>
> foo;x-weight-10: Animal
> foo;x-weight-3: Vegetable
> foo;x-weight-1: Mineral
>
> That's an interesting idea, although it would still confuse older
> clients that only look for the attribute "foo" in the search responses.

Well, I the option could be defined with the semantics that it is not
returned in searches.  Maybe unless the user asks for it with a control
or in the attribute list.  Then the server would have to merge returned
attributes that otherwise have the same type, and update operations must
refuse to add values that match a value in another attribute which has
the same type when this option is ignored...

--
Hallvard