[ldapext] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-dontusecopy-01.txt

Hi Kurt,

The control is appropriate for both LDAP interrogation operations,
including Compare and Search operations [Protocol].

I would probably replace the word 'both' with 'all' and include a little comment about Extended Operations. This way, Extended Operations that perform interrogation operations will also be deemed appropriate to have a dontUseCopy control attached.

When the control is attached to an LDAP request, the requested
operation MUST NOT be performed on copied information. That is, the
requested operation MUST be performed on original information.

With LDAP directory's that support an implementation of multi-master replication, do you deem both Masters as containing 'original' information? I think that this must be the case, in which case the word 'original' might also be a little misleading.

Cheers, Andrew.

Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:

Title : The LDAP Don't Use Copy Control Author(s) : K. Zeilenga Filename : draft-zeilenga-ldap-dontusecopy-01.txt Pages : 5 Date : 2005-7-19 This document defines the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) Don't Use Copy control extension which allows a client to specify that copied information should not be used in providing service. This control is based upon the X.511 dontUseCopy service control option.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zeilenga-ldap-dontusecopy-01.txt