Re: [ldapext] (no subject)

At 01:53 PM 6/14/2005, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>The problem as Andrew Tridgell explained it is that the external service needs to work with password policy, but it itself must act as part of the process.

I think what is referred to as "an external service" here should
be viewed as a "user application" of the directory or, possibly,
it could be viewed as acting a limited shadow DSA (that doesn't
actually talk LDAP or DAP).

In the former view, I think it unwise to mix user application
policies with directory service policy.  This policy is for the
directory service.  If user applications need a policy mechanism,
that's a different beast.

In the latter view, any policy variables the external service
might want to update should be DSA-specific, that is, specific to
the external service.

>It must perform the password equality check itself.

Is also going to verify all the other information necessary
to validate the user is authorized to access the directory?

>This step happens right in the middle of other policy checks and updates. I've made one pass at 'modularizing' the password policy in order to make this kind of thing feasable. Not sure if I hit the mark or not.

I think we need to focus on policies controlling
the directory services and ignore, for now, policies
controlling user applications or "external services".
Apples and oranges.