Re: [ldapext] (no subject)

At 09:24 AM 5/12/2005, Neal-Joslin, Robert (HP-UX Lab R&D) wrote:
>While I understand the reasoning for the suggestions, I thought I should
>bring out one point for discussion:
>
>Is not one purpose of standardizing password/account policy to allow
>other agents (aside from the DUA itself) to interact with this policy?
>If so, then changing some of these attributes to NO-USER-MODIFICATION
>limits the ability of these agents to interact with the policy.  What if
>the agent wants to use this schema to manage the policy itself?

I think the agent shouldn't attempt to do so as that's not,
or shouldn't be, the semantics.  Policy should be administrated
through the appropriate subentry.

I think it is a mistake to allow multiple mechanisms to
administrate policy.  If nothing else, it makes evaluation of
access controls kind of ambiguous.  Does the user need write
to the operational attribute, or write to the attribute in the
subentry?

I think it would be wise to stick with the general X.500/LDAP
administrative model, policy is administrated via values of
attributes in subentries.

Kurt