Re: [ldapext] URN namespace for ldap/X.509 schema elements?

RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

We confronted this question when considering a convention for representation of X.500/LDAP attributes as SAML Attributes, and decided on using the OID URN namespace. See section 8.2 of the SAML 2.0 Profiles spec,

  http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/saml-profiles-2.0-os.pdf

Good reference, thanks.

Choosing to base URNs on anything other than OIDs seems to me to inevitable lead to having to maintain a registry of such names, in parallel with OID registries. I can't see anyone wanting to do that. Is there some problem with using urn:oid: ?

I guess readability suffers a bit ;-) But seriously I don't understand the need for a separate registry if only schema elements published in RFC:s are handled...

Using urn:oid forces clients to be schema-aware which has good and bad
side-effects.

	MVH leifj