Re: [ldapext] dc+idn

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 02:31 PM 11/8/2004, Leif Johansson wrote:

Could someone summarize the state of affairs with "internationalized
dc"? It seems to me that there is an urgent need looming here.

First, here are some earlier starts on this:
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-zeilenga-ldap-idn-04.txt
  http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt

However, at present, I'm thinking that internationalization
of domain components (and like things) is better handled
above the directory.... otherwise internationalized
and non-internationalized clients will not interoperate
properly.

Well that may be so but It occured to me the other day that one way to allow the directory to expose idn's to the user is to create a transfer option (;idna-decode or something to that effect) which would return dc and associatedDomain in the ACE-decoded form. A quick read of the application requirements from RFC3490 seems to indicate that a transfer option might be constructed that would fullfill these requirements.

	MVH leifj