[ldapext] Interpretation of "attribute: <no value>" in LDIF file

What is the proper interpretation of a LDIF line consisting of just
"attributetype: " with no value?

As I read 2849, I think it means zero-length value, which is not the same
as no value.  I believe zero-length value is valid for Octet String, IA5
String, Distinguished Name, maybe others.  Others have argued that it means
no value (as in using a modify-replace with no value to delete an attribute
if it is present in an entry).

To use some examples, what do the following do to the value of description?

dn: cn=some entry
changetype: modify
replace: description

dn: cn=another entry