Re: [ldapext] Password Policy OIDs

I haven't looked to see how close the draft is to either the (then)
Netscape or the Novell implementations, but here what I think:

If the existing OIDs and descriptive names are based on password policy
implementations that existed prior to this draft, I think the names and
OIDs should be changed when the draft departs "far enough" from those
existing implementations.  At a minimum, I think the control OIDs ought to
be different; that would make it possible for a client to determine which
password policy implementation was supported by a server and act
accordingly.

If the OIDs and descriptive names in question are defined by the draft, I
think it is reasonable for the draft to continue use those OIDs and names
when it changes the semantics defined in a previous version.  I think
anyone implementing an Internet Draft is doing so at their own risk.  Isn't
that part of the rationale behind this statement?

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
   months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents
   at any time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as
   reference material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

John  McMeeking