Re: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-incr-00.txt

It is absurd to exclude multi-master replication from normal LDAP configurations.  Every large deployment uses it, because they can't tolerate a single point of failure. That being the case, there is no consensus not to use it.  Just the opposite: There is a consensus that it must be used.

One can support multi-master replication and the increment operation.  However the increment operation, and all operations on that attribute value, must occur on a particular master, and must be deferred if that master is not available.

John McGarvey
IBM directory architect
919-877-4892 or t/l 254-4892

"David Boreham" <david_list@boreham.org>
Sent by: ldapext-bounces@ietf.org

10/22/2004 03:46 PM

<ldapext@ietf.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-incr-00.txt

> I hope we can avoid rehashing this.  I think consensus is
> pretty clear on the matter.  X.500 specifications and
> implementations presume that one and only one DSA is
> authoritative for an entry held in the Directory.

I see, you're really arguing from the perspective
of how the service is implemented rather than any
specific service semantics as seen by clients.
So it's simply enough to say that MMR isn't allowed,
and not important to say _why_.
I get your thinking now, thanks.