[ldapext] ManageDsaIT control vs. parent referral objects

RFC 3296 says:

> 3.  The ManageDsaIT Control
>
>    The control causes Directory-specific
>    entries (DSEs), regardless of type, to be treated as normal entries
>    allowing clients to interrogate and update these entries using LDAP
>    operations.

This control would make more sense to me if it did not apply to superior
referral entries of the entries that are considered by the operation.
For example, as far as I can tell from rfc3296, one can now use the
manageDSAIT control to add subordinate entries below referral entries.
I haven't got X.511(97); how does its ManageDsaIT service option work
in this respect?

--
Hallvard