Re: [ldapext] Complex knowledge information

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

Thanks for the feedback so far. Do you think it would help if I illustrated some extreme examples of storing stuff on values of the ref attribute, and contrast that with returning that same kind of stuff in a control, and further contrast those with returning small (reference data) which would force the client to make a subsequent read?

I'll chime in and say that some examples would help clarify which problems you are trying to address. It seems likely that at some point returning referrals to clients (which in your case are probably other servers or synchronization agents?) is too simplistic of an approach. It may be better for some types of LDAP clients to be able to access the knowledge information as a collection of attributes or subentries (seems like the cleanest approach to me). Standardizing all of this for LDAP would be challenging, although that may or may not be crucial.

--
Mark Smith
LDAP Book Information: http://www.ldapbook.com/