Re: [ldapext] True filter vs. (objectClass=*)

At 06:13 AM 1/1/2004, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>I suggest to add this statement to draft-zeilenga-ldap-t-f:
>
>   Whenever the "(objectClass=*)" filter will succeed (including
>   reading the Root DSE), the "(&)" filter will also succeed.

Succeed?  As it match the DSE?  or returned by the search operation?

I've written this I-D to limit its scope to the evaluation of Filters.
It has no impact beyond that.

>rfc2251 section 3.4 explicitly says the (objectClass=*) filter
>should be used to read the root DSE.  It does _not_ say 'any filter
>which matches the root DSE', so as currently defined the TRUE filter
>might not work here.

This I-D does not alter any TS, including RFC 2251, which mandates a
particular filter in a specific cases.   That is, this I-D only extends
the general filter capabilities.  It does not alter when and where
those general filter capabilities may be used.

Hence, I suggest adding:
  It is noted that certain search operations, such as those used to
  retrieve information from subschema subentries [RFC2251], require use
  of particular filters.  This document does not change these requirements.