RE: [ldapext] Returning the Password Policy Control

I've never thought of the password policy control response as being a
mechanism for informing the client that a password policy applied to any
given request.  Rather, I view the purpose of the control to be to carry
additional error / warning information so that a password policy aware
client could react to it.

I don't think the typical application is concerned with whether a password
policy is in effect, any more than I would expect logon to a system to tell
me that.  I just want to know that I have logged in successfully, or
changed my password successfully, and if there is an error (or my password
is about to expire), then I want to know that it is because passwords
expire every 186 days (for example).

I do think that an administrator or auditor has an interest in knowing that
password policy applies to a given entry and / or password attribute.  I
don't think that returning a password policy response control is the best
way to satisfy such a requirement.  One way to accomplish this is to define
an operational attribute, say passwordPolicySubentry, that names the
password policy subentry(ies?) that governs the entry.  The administrator /
auditor should have authority to read the password policy entry.

If there is a subtreespecification associated with the password policy
[sub]entry, it could be challenging determining whether a given policy
applies to a specific entry.  For example, an entry could fall within a
governed subtree, but not match the filter or other component of the
subtree specification.  The question of whether a subtree specification
applies to an entry is a general problem.  It might be appropriate to have
password policy define the passwordPolicySubentry attribute, and have
something like the subentry draft define an extended operation to determine
if a given subentry applies to a given entry.

John  McMeeking

                      "Andrew
                      Sciberras"               To:       "'Jim Sermersheim'" <jimse@novell.com>
                      <andrews@adacel.c        cc:       "Ldapext \(E-mail\)" <ldapext@ietf.org>
                      om.au>                   Subject:  RE: [ldapext] Returning the Password Policy Control
                      Sent by:
                      ldapext-admin@iet
                      f.org

                      09/03/2003 07:15
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      andrews

G'Day,

Take a look at the scenario of a bound entity  changing their own
userPassword and including a passwordPolicyRequest control in  the
LDAPMessage. (Where a passwordPolicy is in place for the userPassword
attribute).
By following the steps described in 6.2, if  the operation succeeds, the
user will simply get an LDAPMessage back with a  LDAPResult of `success'
and no passwordPolicyResponse control.
At this point in time the entity would have  no idea as to whether a
password policy is being applied to their  userPassword.
Receiving  the successful response without a passwordPolicyResponse control
could  mean:
    * The DSA knows nothing  about the Password Policy control, and since
it was not marked as being  critical, has just ignored it,
    * The DSA does support  Password Policy controls, but no password
policy was applied to this  `userPassword' attribute,
    * The DSA does support the  Password Policy control, and a policy does
apply to the userPassword  attribute.

If the  intention of the Password Policy Specification is to
suppress returning controls on successful operations, then I think we need
some way to indicate to the client that a password policy is being applied
to their password.
I think an ideal time to do this is when the  entity is using their
password to authenticate themselves in a bind or compare  operation. By
returning the password policy control, even on a successful  compare or
bind, it makes the entity aware that their password has a policy  applied
to it and that subsequent operations performed on this password  attribute
will result in the policy being enforced.

Regards,
Andrew Sciberras