Re: [ldapext] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt]

I'm not too familiar with IDNs, but I'll offer some initial questions (I
hesitate to call them informed comments).

If we require storing UTF-8 IDNs, does this require that clients be able to
convert the IDN to the ASCII compatible sequence?  It seems like this could
present problems, as it requires application changes, whereas the ASCII
compatible sequence, while not "pretty" is at least usable without
application changes (true?).  We might allow, rather than require, UTF-8
IDNs; its pretty easy to tell that a string contains UTF-8 and process
accordingly if necessary, but the argument used above suggests it might not
be a good idea until the applications are ready.  Also, I suspect that most
applications would have to convert from UTF-8 to something else (local code
page?) anyway, but some LDAP clients do that for all string data already.
Converting from ASCII compatible to desired form should not be a problem.

With respect to the schema, hmm...  I'm not too fond of the idea of having
a dual set of objectclasses and attributes that applications must use.  But
I recognize that changing an IA5 String attribute to Directory String may
not be palletable to standards bodies, and requires work on the part of
implementations (schema updates, at least, possibly data migration, other
changes).

idc/inetDomainComponent - Could we drop the alias?  Aliases cause problems.
Defining an alias, while at the same time saying that systems MUST NOT use
the alias... seems a bit contradictory at best.

John  McMeeking

                      "Eric A. Hall"
                      <ehall@ehsco.com>        To:       ldapext@ietf.org
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      ldapext-admin@iet        Subject:  Re: [ldapext] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt]
                      f.org

                      07/02/2003 08:15
                      AM

Any comments on this?

on 6/26/2003 7:08 AM Eric A. Hall wrote:
> FYI. Feedback appreciated.
>
> I really believe that something like this is needed to fully accomodate
> IDNs in LDAP. The use of client-side transformations are extremely
fragile
> and prone to errors (eg, copying the data from one LDAP application and
> pasting it in with another). I also think that nobody here really wants
> see codec output embedded in the namespace for years to come, but that's
> the only predictable outcome from using client transformations. We need
> have UTF-8 elements for IDNs in order for them to work reliably.
>
> The following issues in particular are still unresolved.
>
>   7.      Open Issues
>
>      Should a structured domain name sequence be formally defined, with
>      the inetDomainComponent and inetEmail attributes formally
>      incorporating that sequence?
>
>      Should the inetEmail attribute be formally defined as structured,
>      with the appropriate ASN.1?
>
>      Should there be extensible matching filters that accept non-
>      normalized input, normalize it, and then search for matching
>      elements and/or attributes?
>
> Thanks

> Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt
> From: Internet-Drafts@ietf.org
> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:52:10 -0400
> To: IETF-Announce: ;

directories.

>            Title                         : LDAP Schema Extensions for
Internationalized Domain