RE: [ldapext] I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-uuid-00.txt

At 05:17 PM 5/13/2003, Steven Legg wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>> I concur that this is a strong argument that the ordering matching
>> rule should be removed from the draft.   Does anyone have any
>> counter arguments they would like to make?
>
>There is value in having an ordering relationship defined, even if it
>is completely arbitrary, just so that sorting and less-than and
>greater-than filter items are well-defined. A client can always impose
>a different ordering relationship by using an extensible match.

Noted.

>Also, why are you defining new matching rules that are exactly the same
>as octetStringMatch and octetStringOrderingMatch ?

Because UUID syntax has its own LDAP-specific string encoding.

>Sections 5.1 and 5.2.19
>of draft-ietf-ldapbis-syntaxes-05.txt allow octetStringMatch to be applied
>to the UUID syntax. By implication, so can octetStringOrderingMatch.

I think not.  The UUID syntax differs from other OCTET STRING
derived syntaxes, such as JPEG, in that it has a different
LDAP-specific string encoding than that prescribed for OCTET
STRINGs.  That is, the octets of the UUID are not transferred
"unconverted" like an OCTET STRING, converted to a string
representation for transfer.