RE: [ldapext] BER encoding of PasswordPolicyResponseValue?

I agree, but I also note that there's not even a requirement for control
values to be described using ASN.1.

>>> "Ramsay, Ron" <Ron.Ramsay@ca.com> 3/30/03 9:14:04 PM >>>
I think all ASN.1 for a control should be in the form of an ASN.1
module instead of just snippets of ASN.1. RFC 2251 does just this in an
appendix.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Sermersheim [mailto:jimse@novell.com]
Sent: Saturday, 29 March 2003 17:48
To: Kurt@OpenLDAP.org
Cc: steven.legg@adacel.com.au; ldapext@ietf.org; mcs@netscape.com
Subject: Re: [ldapext] BER encoding of PasswordPolicyResponseValue?

I'd love to do this, but the fact is, values of controls and extended
operations are OCTET STRING types. It's entirely up to the control or
extended operation specification to define the format of the octets
(4.1.11 and 4.12). I believe it would be inappropriate to say anything
other than "if the control (or extended operation) specification
defines
the format of the control value using ASN.1, it SHOULD also specify
that
encoding be in accordance with the rules in 5.1". Even that, I feel is
stretching things a bit. Otherwise the protocol begins to take on
aspects of an extension guide.

Jim

At 06:23 PM 3/28/2003, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>I bet you're right.  (Now where is that LDAP extensions guidelines
>document...?)

I can add something to draft-zeilenga-ldap-ext about this...
but maybe it *might* be appropriate to cover this in the
revision of Section 5.1 of RFC 2251.  Loosely speaking,
values of controls and extended operations are elements
of LDAP and hence subject to Section 5.1 requirements.

I suggest someone suggest some text to LDAPBIS.

Alternatively (or maybe, additionally), this can be covered
in draft-zeilenga-ldap-ext.  I'd welcome text suggestions.

Kurt