RE: [ldapext] Re: Password policy state attributes

Hi John,

> 1.  Multiple userPassword (or attribute) values.  For
> example, an entry has
> userPassword values "secret" and "anothersecret".  I would prefer that
> password policy attributes apply to the entire set of
> userPassword values.
> I have a hard time with the notion that "secret" is valid and
> "anothersecret" has been reset, or the notion of a single
> password being
> locked.  Trying to express that state would require tying the policy
> attributes to individual values and likely that the user know
> passwords to
> get the values or that the values be returned in clear text
> to make use of
> the results.  Try searching for all entries with expired passwords or
> figuring out from the results which of the user's passwords
> were expired.

I think that the original intention of the Password Policy (as specified in
section 3.3) should still apply, in that the password attributes to which
the policy applies should only have one value.
Attempting to tie the password policy to particular values would definitely
be a bit of a nightmare for all the reasons that you've mentioned plus the
fact that not all state attributes can apply to values. For example, the
pwdHistory state attribute must be associated with an attribute.

> 3.  Multiple password attributes, where applications perform
> authentication.  For example, web app retrieves the
> webPassword attribute
> and compares it to the user entered string.
> I don't see password policy applying here.
> The server is not performing the
> authentication function
> (no bind request), making the data no different than
> telephone numbers from
> a directory server perspective.

I disagree.
The current state of the Password Policy allows the web application to
'offload' user authentication to the server in the form of a compare
operation.
Section 6.4 of the draft discusses how a compare operation should be
handled. A web application only needs to send the 'user entered string' to
the directory in a compare operation to validate whether the provided
password is correct. I believe that the Password Policy should be applied in
this instance as the compare operation being made by the web application is
equivalent to a bind.
Perhaps the Policy should also be extended to treat some search operations
as being equivalent to a bind as well.
>From a security point of view it is also much safer to send the user entered
text to the server rather than send the actual password to the web app, this
is beside the point though.

in summary I support the fact that:
	* the Password Policy should only support attributes with a single password
value,
	* the Password Policy may apply to multiple attributes within a single
entry,
	* the Password Policy should apply to password attributes and not values,
	* the state attributes should have a complex syntax which includes (as part
of the value the value) the AttributeDescription of the password attribute
to which the value applies. The AttributeDescription would contain the
AttributeType plus any options. In this case the AttributeType should
contain the dotted-decimal OBJECT IDENTIFIER of the attribute and not its
textual name.

Cheers,
Andrew Sciberras.