Re: [ldapext] information on access control

Shari,

Here's the complete list of access control standards I've personally been
involved in.

Open Group aznAPI (you can view HTML free but have to pay for .PDF):

      http://www.opengroup.org/publications/catalog/c908.htm

OMG CORBAsecurity (contains access control interfaces; for a better
description buy my book "CORBA Security"):

      http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?formal/2002-03-11

OMG RAD (Resource Access Decision)

      http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?formal/2001-04-01

OASIS SAML (Security Assertions Markup Language); this isn't an access
control specification per se but allows
an authorization decision service to consume standard subject attribute
descriptions and produce standard tokens
stating its decision:

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/

=======================

The Grand-daddy of access control specifications is the ISO Access Control
Framework; no one with an interest
in access control should be without a copy of this (even though you have to
pay for it):

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=18199&ICS1=35&ICS2=100&ICS3=1

You may also want to look at X.500 Access Control (though I think this
model has lots of problems; I can elaborate
off-list if you're interested); David Chadwick is my favorite source of
information on this topic

http://www.isi.salford.ac.uk/staff/dwc/Version.Web/Chapter.8/Chapter8a.htm

The actual specification is here:

http://www.itu.int/rec/recommendation.asp?type=items&lang=e&parent=T-REC-X.500-200102-I

Novell's NDS has an extremely powerful and flexible access control model;
Ed Reed (who often contributes
to this list) is a good source of information about it; I don't have a link
to a good description online.

Finally, you might want to take a look at the WebDAV access control model:

      http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-acl-09.txt

--bob

Bob Blakley (email: blakley@us.ibm.com   phone: +1 512 286-2240  fax: +1
512 286-2057)
Chief Scientist, Security and Privacy, IBM Tivoli Software

Rob Byrne - Sun Microsystems <robert.byrne@sun.com>@ietf.org on 11/21/2002
03:40:47 AM

Please respond to robert.byrne@sun.com

Sent by:    ldapext-admin@ietf.org